Last summer, I choked on a fatty piece of steak.
For a few minutes, I was pretty scared.
I had just arrived at our family cottage and, in a moment of excitement, I bit off a bit more than I could chew. My mind was racing with the thought that I actually might not take another breath of that fresh northern air.
It was a pretty amazing experience. I also hope you never have an experience like this one. I was scared and concerned, yet fully aware of what was going on around me.
It was at that moment, as I watched my mother’s panic stricken face, my wife shedding tears, my cousin Adam jumping to my side and telling the others I couldn’t breath, and my Uncle Joe, without hesitation, jumping in to try to dislodge the steak from my blocked airway that I realized sometimes, we all choke.
Choking, metaphorically, happens to the best of us. We choke in our businesses. We choke at our jobs. We choke in school. We choke in our families.
But sometimes, you just have to let go and trust the people who care about you will jump in and help out.
On the flip side, if you see someone choking, metaphorically of course….Don’t be afraid to jump in and help them.
They might not be able to call for help.